From the kitchen pantry to the bathroom vanity, olive oil is one of the most versatile staples to have on hand in your household. We’re breaking down top ways to incorporate it into your cooking and beauty regimens, plus helpful facts to maximize its benefits.
TOP STORAGE TIPS:
- Avoid Heat: It may be convenient, but don’t store olive oil near the stove. Store in a cupboard or pantry.
- Avoid Light: Opt for olive oil in dark or tinted bottles and avoid direct sunlight (which can cause spoilage).
- Avoid Air: Ensure the bottle has an airtight seal when not using. A properly sealed bottle of EVOO should last up to 18 months.
INSIGHT FROM THE PROS:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1 orange, very thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Whipped cream, serving
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a 9-inch round spring form pan or cake pan and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, zest and orange juice. Using a spatula, gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with thinly sliced fruit. Sprinkle sugar on the citrus slices. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then unmold and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and/or whipped cream.
1 tbsp yogurt
1 tbsp honey or olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Massage the mask on your scalp from the roots to the ends of your hair. Let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes before washing it out with warm water.