Mac & Cheese: The comfort food perfect for reuniting friends and family.
We pull out all the stops for this quintessential side dish. Five different cheeses create warm, gooey perfection.
As seen in the pages of Sweet July Magazine. Get the Fall/Winter 2021 Issue here!
Five Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 ounces Havarti, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces Gruyère, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Panko Topping, optional (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, draining 2 minutes before al dente.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°. Grease a (9-by-13-inch) baking dish with butter. Toss together cheddar and Monterey Jack in a small bowl; set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until light brown and nutty, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half-and-half and bring to a boil. Add cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, and gradually whisk in Havarti, Gruyère, salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni and gently fold together to coat.
- Spoon half of the macaroni mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with half of the cheddar and Monterey Jack mixture. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheddar and Monterey Jack mixtures. Sprinkle evenly with Panko Topping, if desired, and bake until bubbly and lightly browned on top, 15 to 20 minutes.