There’s nothing more classic and comforting than a hearty bowl of pasta with a home cooked sauce.
The real magic to this recipe is using high quality ingredients and giving it time to let the flavors meld, which we recommend you do while you’re boiling your pasta for maximum efficiency. Use this recipe as a base for other proteins such as Italian sausage or ground lamb. Or omit the protein altogether and let the mushrooms be the star. Whatever adventure you choose, don’t skimp on the Parm. You can never have enough Parm.
Weeknight Beef Ragu
Prep Time 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, minced
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can whole crushed tomatoes (we recommend San Marzano)
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb box favorite pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese (garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and break it up until the meat is no longer pink on the outside. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add your onion to the pot, season with salt, and cook until softened (about 3 minutes). Add your garlic and cook another minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté with onion and garlic. Add the ground beef back into the pan.
- Add in the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Let the wine cook down until the surface of the pan is almost dry. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add the crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, bay leaf and one cup of water. Stir until the mixture is well incorporated. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a low simmer. Allow the sauce to bubble away and reduce for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before serving, check the seasoning and add salt or a drizzle of olive oil as needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Make sure to salt your water! Add the pasta and cook according to instructions. Drain pasta.
- Serve sauce generously over the pasta. Garnish with grated parmesan.