The pie-fect individual treats for dessert lovers!
We love a nice slice, but these hand pies, with the perfect ratio of crust to filling, rival the classic. Frozen store-bought puff pastry cuts the time, but these still taste like homemade goodness. Put these on the lineup for your fall festivities!
Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies
- 1 cup apples, cored and diced (about 2 medium-sized apples)
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 box frozen store-bought puff pastry, thawed but still cool
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make an egg wash. Crack the egg into a small bowl and add the water. Whisk with a fork until combined.
- Place puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut each sheet into nine even squares (3 squares by 3 squares) to make a total of 18 equal-sized squares. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of apple filling in the middle of a square of pastry dough. Brush the edges with egg wash, which will act as your glue. Cover with another square of pastry dough, gently pressing the edges together. Seal the pie by crimping using a fork at the edges (all the way around) and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg wash. Bake for 13-15 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar.