Alex Hill's Father's Day Steak With Calabrian Chili Compound Butter
2 rib eye steaks, 1 inch thick
Diamond kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper, to taste (about 1 teaspoon each seasoning both sides of the steak
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
CALABRIAN CHILI COMPOUND BUTTER
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 heaping tablespoons calabrian chili peppers (or spread depending on your grocery store)
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, zested
1 lemon, zested
Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Steak Cooking Tips:
1. Let your steak come to room temperature, about 45-60 minutes.
2. Generously season with kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper!
3. A good rule of thumb: cook 4-5 minutes on each side depending how thick your steak is. Preheat your cast iron skillet on medium/medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add your steak to the skillet and don’t touch it so it gets a good sear.
4. Let your steak rest for 5 minutes. Set a timer and leave it alone. Letting your steak rest allows the juices to redistribute so it’s nice and juicy!
5. Cut your steak AGAINST the grain. Cutting against the grain means cutting against the muscle which equals a tender bite of your steak. If you cut with the grain, it results in a chewy steak. Find the grain and cut the opposite way.
6. For the calabrian chili compound butter, combine all ingredients in a bowl and taste to adjust seasoning. Optional: roll into a log on parchment paper or saran wrap and let it harden in the fridge.
6. Serve your steak with the compound butter on top!