A tasty, light breakfast that comes together in 15-minutes.
We love an ingredient that can be used two ways, and fennel works great here. Sauté the fennel to make it caramelized and sweet to complement the sharp gruyère cheese, then garnish with fennel fronds for a herb-y, fresh element.
Chicken Sausage and Fennel Scramble
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces smoked chicken apple sausage (2 sausages), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel (from 1 small fennel bulb), fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 small shallot, minced (2 tbsp)
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 ounces Gruyere, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add sausage pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in fennel and shallot; cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in eggs, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, using a spatula, until eggs resemble small curds and are no longer wet, about 4 minutes. Add Gruyère and cook, stirring constantly, until melted, about 30 seconds. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve immediately.