We can’t express enough how important it is to have a good olive oil in your pantry—here’s one reason why.
There is a special place in our heart for olive oil, which is why we created this Citrus and Spice cake with our newly launched Sweet July Olive Oil—the magic ingredient. Bright, citrusy notes of orange and lemon are warmed by cardamom spice. Serve this up with a dust of confectioners sugar, or if you’re feeling extra indulgent, some whipped cream.
Citrus and Spice Olive Oil Cake
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1 orange, very thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Whipped cream, serving
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a 9-inch round spring form pan or cake pan and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, zest and orange juice. Using a spatula, gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with thinly sliced fruit. Sprinkle sugar on the citrus slices. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then unmold and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and/or whipped cream.