Peanut butter and jelly with bananas—but better. We’re taking this Elvis classic to another level.
Salty peanut butter, sweet jelly and bananas, all nestled between two warm, buttery slices of bread? Sign us up! This decadent sandwich is buttery and crispy on the outside, yet warm and gooey on the inside. Frying the bananas gives them a nice golden caramelization, making this feel like a special treat.
Fried PB & J with Caramelized Banana
2 slices of bread (we like to use Sourdough)
Jelly or fruit preserves of your choice (we love a good Mixed Berries preserve)
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Slice your banana and add to the melted butter in your skillet. Sauté the banana slices until they turn golden brown and start to caramelize. Feel free to add in a few dashes of cinnamon as your bananas cook.
- While the bananas are cooking, prepare one slice of bread with peanut butter and the other with jelly – but don’t put them together yet.
- Once the bananas are cooked, add about ¾ of them to either the peanut butter or jelly slice. Put the slices together and butter the outsides of your PB&J.
- Adjust the heat on your skillet to medium. Fry the sandwich on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove from skillet and top with remaining sautéed bananas. Slice and enjoy!