An easy weeknight dinner that is even better than takeout.
With a simple teriyaki sauce loaded up with tons of fresh garlic and ginger, this is a meal you’ll want to come back to over and over.
Teriyaki Chicken and Sushi Rice
- 2 cups uncooked white sushi rice
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Chopped scallions (optional)
- Cook sushi rice according to package directions. Set aside, covered, until ready to serve.
- To make teriyaki sauce, stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper (if using) and 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl; gradually whisk into teriyaki mixture in saucepan. Boil over medium-high, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove teriyaki sauce from heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned and a thermometer inserted into thickest portion of meat registers 165°, about 10 minutes.
- Add teriyaki sauce to chicken mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, until chicken is evenly coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and, if desired, chopped scallions. Serve over cooked rice.